Spartanburg Methodist College, located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, seeks candidates for positions in a new Student and Professional Development Program. This department will design and develop new programs integrated throughout a student’s academic and co-curricular journey at SMC focused on preparing them academically, personally, and professionally.
Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
SMC is growing significantly, adding new programs, and consistently evaluating operations as a result of a campus-wide commitment to innovation and a passion for designing all campus programs to serve the student population intentionally. SMC is committed to its student demographic and believes that global impact is possible through their success. The new Student and Professional Development Program is a result of that enrollment growth, innovation, and commitment to the student’s success. SMC is excited to welcome new mission focused, creative, change agents to the team.
Admissions Counselor Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
The Admissions Counselor reports to and is supervised by the Associate Director of Admissions under the direction of the Executive Director of Admissions & Enrollment Services.
As an integral member of the enrollment team, the Admissions Counselor manages an assigned recruitment territory. The counselor is involved in all aspects of admission administration, including but not limited to analyzing data to develop marketing strategies to successfully attain set goals, counseling of prospective students and families, and building and maintaining contacts in the recruitment area. The counselor must maintain a commitment to the mission and programs of Spartanburg Methodist College and be able to communicate the unique nature of these programs accurately, professionally, and enthusiastically to a variety of audiences. A commitment to excellence is expected.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Develops and implements strategies to generate inquiries and applications from high school students within an assigned territory.
- Manages the applicant pool from the assigned territory through initiating and maintaining a consistent flow of communication by telephone, text, email, and CRM with prospective students, their families, and others who influence them.
- Analyzes data for the assigned territory and prepares reports as part of the ongoing assessment process for the Enrollment Management team.
- Selects sites for recruitment events in the assigned territory and organizes those events.
- Schedules on-campus appointments, interviews, and campus tours with students and their families.
- Evaluates the needs of students, provides guidance for students and their families throughout the admissions process and connects them with other campus resources.
- Plans and completes an extensive travel program within the assigned territory throughout the year.
- Articulates the College’s mission skillfully while traveling to numerous high schools, churches, and college fairs throughout the region.
- Schedules private visits to high schools within the assigned territory to build relationships with guidance counselors, other high school personnel, and prospective students.
- Represents the College effectively at various special events.
- Tracks progress of applicants and ensures all applicant paperwork and computer data is current, accurate, and complete.
- Participates in the final admissions decision process for students from the assigned territory by providing analysis of student records.
- Responds promptly and follows up on all inquiries.
- Contributes to the successful execution of on-campus admissions events.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Admissions and Executive Director of Admissions & Enrollment Services.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and efficiency in recordkeeping.
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with members of the College community and the public.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Possess strong public presentation skills.
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Outlook, Office, Word, and PowerPoint; preferred experience with a CRM.
- Willingness to work occasional evening hours and weekends as needed.
This work is normally performed in an office environment and will require significant contact with students and family members. The work also includes public presentations on and off campus. The Admissions Counselor must be able to drive to off-site recruitment locations.
- Light physical exertion—normally, seated, standing, or walking at will. Periodic handling of parcels or supplies. Use of handcart for transporting admissions materials.
- The incumbent may be required to lift materials up to 25 pounds.
- Significant standing for periods of up to three hours during college fairs.
- Ability to access office files and make public presentations.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer monitor, in hand written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Prior admissions experience preferred.
How to Apply:
Please send a letter of interest, resume and list of three (3) references to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application open until filled.
- Review of applications begins June 22, 2020.
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.