Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Coffee Shop and Café Supervisor Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
Full-time, AM Supervisor, 8-hour Day Shift, 6:30am - 2:30pm
Full-time, PM Supervisor, 8-hour Night Shift, 3:00pm-11:30 pm
This position qualifies for full-time benefits.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Serve as subject matter expert for operations of The Cellar, including barista duties and food preparation.
- Train and supervise student staff
- Take monthly inventory
- Determine and place daily/weekly orders for food and supplies
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to build relationships
- Accuracy in handling cash
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
Education and Experience:
- Coffee house experience is helpful but not required as training will be provided
- Previous supervisory experience is a plus
- High School diploma or GED
- References and background check required
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply In Person: Spartanburg Methodist College
Burgess Student Center – Dining Center
1750 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (864) 587-4105
The position is open until filled.
FLSA: Hourly, Non-exempt
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.