Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Instructional Design Assistant Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
The Instructional Design Assistant reports to the Instructional Designer.
The instructional design assistant will assist with the implementation and review of instructional materials for online courses in Brightspace.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Collaborate with faculty to develop and upload course material into the learning management system (D2L Brightspace)
- Assist faculty with technology issues related to Brightspace, Kaltura Media, Turnitin, Respondus, and other tools
- Import existing online courses each semester in Brightspace, checking for accuracy and updating links and resources.
- Assist with developing training materials for faculty, staff, and students
- Assist the Instructional Designer with evaluating courses to improve the quality and effectiveness of the SMC learning environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- The Instructional Design Assistant must have a motivated attitude to do a good job, perform in a fast-paced environment, prepared to work as a team but also have autonomy with their specific duties and also wear multiple hats.
- Must have the self-awareness to be able to prioritize tasks and appropriately escalate issues to teammates so that the technician can continue assisting other customers.
- Familiarity with D2L Brightspace or other LMS system
- Some experience with performing administrative duties
- Must be able to communicate effectively with various personality types and levels of understanding.
- A positive attitude is required.
- Customer service is of utmost importance. We will treat each “customer” with respect and compassion.
This position is mostly remote, with occasional trips to campus to meet with faculty.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and remotely.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Instructional Design or a similar discipline. Experience using a learning management system as a student or instructor is a must.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download SMC's job application, fill out and submit to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
- Application open until filled.
FLSA: Part-Time, 10 to 20 hours per week, 10 week contract initially with option to be extended if needed.
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.