Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Mail Services Operations Clerk
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
The Mail Services Operations Clerk reports to the Vice President for Facilities.
The mail service clerk performs a variety of tasks related to incoming, outgoing and intercampus mail operations for the campus. The responsibilities include campus mail pickup, delivery, and processing U.S. mail for the campus; and maintaining the equipment used in these services. This position is also required to deliver all Amazon, Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS packages that are delivered by carrier to the maintenance annex.
- Opens and operates the SMC Campus Post Office daily, from 10:00am-3:00pm. Monday-Thursday and 10:00am-1:30pm on Friday, or other hours as necessary.
- Receives and sorts all incoming mail from the U.S. Postal services and shipments via other carriers according to requirements of the USPS and in compliance with campus procedures, goals and deadlines.
- Receives, identifies, records and delivers packages and documents received from other carriers. Maintains accurate records of these deliveries.
- Distributes mail to student boxes.
- Delivers mail as directed to campus buildings.
- Picks up and processes out-going mail for all areas of the campus.
- Picks up and processes intra-campus mail.
- Operates and maintains standard and/or computerized mail processing equipment.
- Maintains inventory records for mailing supplies and provides periodic inventory reconciliation of mailing supplies.
- Delivers mail to the U.S. Post Office as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of U.S. Postal Service rules, regulations procedures and documentation.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate standard and computerized postage processing equipment.
- Ability to apply inventory control procedures and methodologies.
- Excellent organizational skills and efficiency in recordkeeping.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information discretely.
- Ability to work well with individuals with diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
The work is normally performed in an office environment with long periods of standing. This position may be required to assist in other tasks in the facilities department.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, and move around the campus.
- Ability to lift packages and sacks, and trays and tubs of mail.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and mailing equipment and to handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
- Occasional work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Education and Experience:
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
HOW TO APPLY:
Download SMC's job application, fill out and submit to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application open until filled.
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.