Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Operations Lieutenant Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
The Operations Lieutenant reports to the Chief of Campus Safety.
The Operations Lieutenant is responsible for maintaining records, evidence, and equipment for the department. The Operations Lieutenant reports directly to the Chief of Campus Safety and is a member of the Chief of Campus Safety command staff. The Operations Lieutenant is responsible for the supervision of the uniformed police officers. The Operations Lieutenant is responsible for executing policies, procedures, strategies, and tactics for carrying out the patrol functions of the department; includes evaluating calls for service and other work requirements, and assigning patrol resources to specific sections of the College to efficiently deliver law enforcement services. The Operations Lieutenant is further responsible for the coordination of specialized law enforcement functions such as training.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Protect life and property, and maintain a practical, working knowledge of Federal, South Carolina and Spartanburg Methodist College laws, and rules and regulations.
- Provide some administrative oversight of shift operations.
- Provide on-the-job training for new officers as necessary.
- Assess, coordinate, and/or provide department training and maintain computerized training documentation.
- Perform law enforcement patrol duties that includes working rotating shifts, conducting foot patrols, and physically checking doors and stopping suspicious persons and vehicles.
- Communicate information effectively to faculty, staff, students and other persons in the SMC campus community and gather information, sort, compile and interpret information received.
- Initiate and complete verbal, written and computerized reports which include sketches, symbols, mathematical computations and narratives.
- Handle a law enforcement vehicle skillfully in both emergency and non-emergency circumstances, in driving conditions which include day and night and inclement weather.
- Participates in long- and short-range departmental planning.
- Maintain weapons and equipment in a state of operational readiness for the department.
- Respond to fire alarms, ensure that fire department has been notified if appropriate, and assist in evacuating any building(s) affected or threatened.
- Respond to any crisis or emergency that occurs, and notify appropriate personnel/offices.
- Have the ability to retrieve and record DVD’s and other recording devises as needed.
- Supervise any work-study students who are present during the assigned shift.
- Coordinate with other law enforcement agencies in the enforcement of laws and ordinances on SMC property.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the criminal laws of the State of South Carolina and the rules and regulations of Spartanburg Methodist College.
- Ability to solve problems and relate to the faculty, staff, students and other community members in a positive and professional manner.
- Recognize the cultural diversity of the campus community and ensure sensitive and equitable treatment of all citizens.
- Knowledge of and skill in utilizing computers, two-way radios, body-worn cameras, and general office machines such as printers, copiers and fax machines.
- Possess the ability to and be proficient in the operation and use of personal computers utilizing MS Word, the Internet Browser, Email and PD Manager.
- Maintain Daily Shift Report (written and/or computerized) of activities occurring during the shift (e.g. accidents, significant incidents) to maintain a record.
- Ability to work any shift.
The Operations Lieutenant may be exposed to a variety of environmental and weather conditions as they patrol campus. They may patrol on foot or in a golf cart or automobile. The position requires frequent contact with students, faculty, and staff, and cooperation with other campus officials.
- Armed and uniformed.
- Pass State Law Enforcement (SLED) and SMC pre-employment and personal background check.
- Pass drug testing and remain drug free.
- Maintain yearly training and other requirements to renew Class 1 certification and maintain SLED commission as a campus police officer.
- Possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s license.
Required Physical Abilities:
- Ability to access all areas of the campus, to move around campus to patrol and respond effectively to emergency situations.
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person, by telephone, and on the two-way radio system.
- Mobility to stoop, kneel, bend and reach and lift up to 25 pounds.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate’s degree or completion of two years of college preferred.
- Must be a graduate of the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy and qualify as a Class I Law Enforcement Officer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download SMC's job application, fill out and submit to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
- Application open until filled.
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.