Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Wellness Communications Coordinator Job Description
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
Working as part of the Spartanburg Methodist College Health Services Team, the main purpose of the Wellness Communications Coordinator is to oversee the college’s COVID-19 response operations. The coordinator will plan, coordinate and implement all communications that support SMC’s COVID-19 campus protocols and policies, including but not limited to contact tracing, following up with students, monitoring quarantine/self-isolated spaces and arranging meal delivery. This position is a critical position to SMC’s community in response to the pandemic.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
The Wellness Communications Coordinator will supervise the wellness communications assistant and is responsible for the planning, coordination and implementation of all communications activities for SMC’s COVID-19 response operations. The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy for staying connected to students who have symptoms, have been exposed to the virus or have tested positive for COVID-19
- Provide daily oversight and management to student activity in the Health Champion app
- Supervise the wellness communications assistant
- Communicate with parents (as needed) to arrange pickup of students from campus
- Communicate with local health care providers and refer students out accordingly
- Develop key messages and gather relevant facts and figures that are regularly updated (from DHEC, CDC, ect.,)
- Ensure effective, coherent, and consistent communications (email, office phone, cell phone, Microsoft Teams, etc.,) with all college constituents
- Produce various types of communication materials/reports for students and for college officials
- Provide oversight to the contract tracing process, should there be an outbreak of COVID-19 on campus, reaching out to student who may have been exposed to inform them of next steps.
- Coordinate with the IT and Security departments to source and/or verify information related to students.
- Monitor occupancy of the designated quarantined spaces on campus
- Maintain a campus log of students who are quarantined and/or self-isolated in their respective apartments/rooms/suites and check in daily
- Maintain a campus log of students who are self-isolated and check in daily
- Coordinate and support the gathering and development of relevant, compelling and timely communications content and messages from various campus partners
- Stay abreast of critical COVID-19 developments, monitoring media and social media
- Undertake other communications tasks and responsibilities as may be reasonably
requested by college’s administration
- Other duties as assigned
- Some experience of working in emergency or disaster response operations, including a track
record of coordinating, inspiring and leading
- Experience in communications, preferably as a communications coordinator/specialist
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of current affairs as they relate to the pandemic
- Strong professional and ability to both be proactive and ready to respond rapidly to changing
- Ability to lead in a diverse cultural and social context
- Ability to identify and analyze communications needs and capacity
- Strong relationship management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to produce timely and correct written and oral content
- Ability to collaborate with campus partners to ensure student success
- Excellent editing skills in English
- Fluently spoken and written English
The work is performed primarily in an office environment but may require going to different
areas across campus to support our students. Some weekend work will be required.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand and move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
- Manual and physical dexterity and visual acuity needed to operate a computer keyboard
and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen,
in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and remotely.
Education and Experience:
Registered Nurse (RN) Certification, Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing or in a nursing related field; Equitable experience working in the nursing/medical field will be considered. A minimum of 1 year of experience in a medical/nursing support role is also preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download SMC's job application, fill out and submit to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application open until filled.
FLSA: Full-time, 12-week contract (with option to be extended, if needed)
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.