Academic Advising at SMC is provided through the Pioneer Advising Center (PAC). The PAC is staffed by four professional advisors who assist students in choosing the right degree path and classes to successfully complete their educational goals.
Academic Advising is supplemented by our Faculty–Student Mentoring Program.
VIDEO: HOW TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES. WATCH NOW.
HOW DOES THE PAC SERVE YOU?
Your Academic Advisor (PAC Advisor) will:
- Guide your transition into SMC
- Help you choose one of SMC’s six academic degrees
- Show you which courses you will need to take to complete your degree
- Teach you how to log on to your student portal and register for classes
- Introduce you to your faculty mentor
- Keep track of your degree completion and transfer requirements
- Help you create a class schedule with course formats that work best for you.
Your Faculty Mentor will:
- Stay connected with you during your time at SMC
- Guide you in making academic decisions that best fit your interests
- Steer you toward SMC services that will help you be successful
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
When will I meet my Academic Advisor and my Faculty Mentor?
- Your Academic Advisor will contact you after you have been accepted to SMC and your deposit has been received. Please check your email and phone messages.
- Your Academic Advisor will request that you make an appointment as soon as possible to choose classes for your first semester. All appointments currently hosted online or by phone.
- You will meet your Faculty Mentor in your second semester after you have learned to register for classes online.
How do I make an advising appointment?
- Look for an email from your Academic Advisor. Click the link in the email to schedule your appointment.
- You may also contact the Director of Advising, Kathleen Brown, to receive a link to your advisor's appointment calendar: email@example.com or 864-587-4344.