Call Campus Safety at 864-587-4003.
Mental Health Resources for Students
SMC Counseling Services is currently providing tele (virtual) mental health counseling due to COVID-19. To speak to a clinician during business hours, please call 864-587-4356 or email email@example.com. If there is an emergency situation during office hours, the option for face-to-face may be available if needed. For after-hours emergencies, please contact campus safety at 864-587-4003 or call 911.
SMC Counseling Services will be available:
- Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
- Fridays from 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
Director of Counseling Services
Burgess Student Center
Counseling Services offers students confidential support through:
To help students deal with an array of personal and interpersonal issues including stress, anxiety, depression, grief and relationship issues.
Students who are experiencing a psychological or emotional crisis often need immediate help and intervention. Some examples of serious crises include suicidal or homicidal thoughts or impulses; sexual or physical assault; hearing voices or otherwise misperceiving reality; or overwhelming loss, such as a death in the family.
If you are afraid you will not be able to avoid hurting yourself or someone else, get help immediately. We reserve the right to contact law enforcement or EMS to transport the student for further evaluation.
During office hours, call Counseling Services at 864-587-4356, and make it clear you are in crisis. Students will be seen as soon as possible.
- 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday
- Friday 8:00 a.m.-12:00p.m.
- Call Campus Safety 864-587-4003.
- Go to the Spartanburg Regional Hospital Emergency Department
- Call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline
Instructions on how to access online mental health counseling:
- STEP ONE: Contact Alesia via phone at (864) 587-4356 or email to schedule an appointment.
- STEP TWO: Download and sign the consent form and then return to Alesia via email.
- STEP THREE: Once the consent form with signature is returned and your appointment is confirmed, you can go to https://doxy.me/smccounseling to begin counseling.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE ONLINE PORTAL:
- The website will not be monitored throughout the day. It will be checked at the time of scheduled appointments.
- Use Chrome or Firefox web browser.
- You will need to give your browser permission to access your microphone and camera for the call.
- A check-in box will appear where you can enter you name. Please enter complete name, so I’ll know you arrived.
Sharpen App for Mental Health
SMC Students have access to the Sharpen App for Mental Health. Sharpen collaborates with licensed mental health providers to provide students self-help information, techniques, and guidance in a safe environment.
To access the app:
- Visit SMC's profile on Sharpen
- If asked to put in a code at the App Store it is "SMC" in all caps.
The Sharpen app offers students:
- Information to learn about mental health disorders
- Hear stories of others who have overcome these serious illnesses the voices and perspectives of students themselves
- Provides access to resources in their area at the click of a button
Built through a trauma-informed framework, Sharpen provides documentary-style training and resources to help students better understand symptom and recommended treatments for mental health and substance use disorders – all accessible from your phone or computer.
Also available is “Mind Wise,” a mental health screening that can be accessed through the Sharpen app or by clicking the following link: https://screening.mentalhealthscreening.org/smcsc. Once you complete the screening, if you have any mental health symptoms, and want to discuss, please contact Mrs. Alesia Lowe-Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Spartanburg Methodist College Counseling Services welcomes you to participate in a 24-hour online screening for depression, anxiety, substance abuse and other mental health conditions. This free screening is made available to all our SMC community members and is taken anonymously. The screening is provided so that you may find out — in a few minutes — whether or not professional consultation would be helpful to you. Take this opportunity to try it out!
>> START SCREENING
COUNSELING SERVICES MISSION STATEMENT
In collaboration with the Student Development team, Counseling Services are available to all SMC students. Professional staff can assist students with their personal and interpersonal growth, with the goal of helping them become successful academically, socially, spiritually, and psychologically. While the college promotes a student-centered atmosphere in the Christian tradition, the Counseling Services staff respects the values of all clients.
All services are confidential and free of charge. Should additional help be needed, referrals may be made to medical professionals beyond the campus community.