Call Campus Safety at 864-587-4003.
Mental Health Resources for Students
We are doing our best to make sure that everyone’s needs are taken care of during this time. Due to recent events surrounding COVID-19, we want to make sure that each student’s mental health is a priority. SMC Counseling Services has the option for South Carolina resident students to receive telehealth services (mental health counseling) while students are away from campus.
If you are not a South Carolina resident, we will be happy to assist you in finding a local counseling agency to assist you.
SMC Counseling Services will be available:
- Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Fridays from 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
We will provide solution focused brief therapy to meet immediate needs. We will not provide crisis or emergency services.
If you are in a crisis, we can assist you in identifying available resources in your place of residence. If you are currently taking psychotropic medication or feel that you are in need of psychotropic medication, you will need to follow up with your prescribing physician or primary care doctor for medication. Please feel free to contact Alesia Lowe-Jenkins if you have any questions or concerns.
Instructions on how to access online mental health counseling:
- STEP ONE: Contact Alesia via phone at (864) 587-4356 or email to schedule an appointment.
- STEP TWO: Download and sign the consent form and then return to Alesia via email.
- STEP THREE: Once the consent form with signature is returned and your appointment is confirmed, you can go to https://doxy.me/smccounseling to begin counseling.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE ONLINE PORTAL:
- The website will not be monitored throughout the day. It will be checked at the time of scheduled appointments.
- Use Chrome or Firefox web browser.
- You will need to give your browser permission to access your microphone and camera for the call.
- A check-in box will appear where you can enter you name. Please enter complete name, so I’ll know you arrived.
Director of Counseling Services
Burgess Student Center, Office 204
Spartanburg Methodist College Counseling Services welcomes you to participate in a 24-hour online screening for depression, anxiety, substance abuse and other mental health conditions. This free screening is made available to all our SMC community members and is taken anonymously. The screening is provided so that you may find out — in a few minutes — whether or not professional consultation would be helpful to you. Take this opportunity to try it out!
>> START SCREENING
COUNSELING SERVICES MISSION STATEMENT
In collaboration with the Student Development team, Counseling Services are available to all SMC students. Professional staff can assist students with their personal and interpersonal growth, with the goal of helping them become successful academically, socially, spiritually, and psychologically. While the college promotes a student-centered atmosphere in the Christian tradition, the Counseling Services staff respects the values of all clients.
All services are confidential and free of charge. Should additional help be needed, referrals may be made to medical professionals beyond the campus community.