SMC Trustees Extend President Scott Cochran’s Contract
The Spartanburg Methodist College Board of Trustees has approved extending President Scott Cochran’s contract. Cochran became the eighth president of SMC in 2015. The extension runs through June 2024.
“The vote to approve President Cochran’s extension was unanimous,” said James F. Thompson, chair of the Board of Trustees. “In his first four years at SMC, he envisioned significant growth for the college and has led the way forward. Under his leadership, and with his deep commitment to the college’s mission, SMC is stronger financially, academically and strategically.”
During his tenure, Cochran has led the college community in the following accomplishments:
- Enrolling the largest freshman classes in the college’s 108-year history in 2017 and 2018.
- Launching the initiative to offer the college’s first bachelor’s degree program, led by faculty, which has begun enrolling students for fall 2019.
- Launching the initiative to offer the college’s first online degree program.
- Reversing cuts to faculty development funds and expanding the size of the faculty.
- Overseeing the development of the college’s 10-Year Master Plan.
- Securing new donor-funded campus facilities, including the Ballard Center and the Moore Fitness Center.
- Opening the SMC Studio, the college’s downtown events location
- Securing continuing Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accreditation.
- Revamping the Enrollment process and adding a senior-level Marketing position to the college’s administration.
- Hiring and/or retaining capable senior leadership.
- Serving on the boards of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities and the National Association of Colleges and Schools of the United Methodist Church.
“It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of Spartanburg Methodist College, which is unique among liberal arts colleges in the state and in the country,” said Cochran. “I am very happy the Board of Trustees’ continue to have faith in my leadership, and I am proud to be part of a talented and dedicated team of faculty and staff. I am excited to continue our work to provide whole-person development to our students, with an emphasis on preparing them for a career.”