- This event has passed.
SMC Fall Play Matinee: Hedda Gabler
October 23 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
The Spartanburg Methodist College Theatre will present its rendition of Henrik Ibsen’s play “Hedda Gabler.”
The Theatre will stage four performances October 20 – 23 at the Gibbs Auditorium on SMC’s campus. Performances will be:
• Thursday, October 20 – 7:00 p.m.
• Friday, October 21 – 7:00 p.m.
• Saturday, October 22 – 7:00 p.m.
• Sunday, October 23 – 2:30 p.m.
Admission is free for all SMC students, faculty, and staff.
Considered the female version of “Hamlet,” for its psychological depth of character, the play follows title character Hedda, as she returns from her honeymoon. Hedda searches for a purpose and “control over someone’s life” in her new role of wife to her struggling academic husband. When her husband’s former academic rival returns to town, Hedda’s attempts to manipulate the people around her go tragically off the rails.
The play received the Laurence Olivier Award (equivalent to the Tony Award on Broadway) for Best Revival in both 1992 and 2006. It’s been hailed as a masterpiece, although it was very controversial when first published in 1891.
The SMC Theatre student cast for “Hedda Gabler” is:
• Hedda (Gabler) Tesman: Morgan Beabout
• George Tesman: Joshua Belcher
• Eilert Lovborg: Braden Datko
• Judge Brack: Leo Kingsley
• Thea Elvsted: Corrine Wilson
• Aunt Julia Tesman: Faith Williams
• Berta: Ayrine Munguia Herrera