Board of Trustees
Spartanburg Methodist College is led by a Board of Trustees comprised of 24 members, with five clergy members and 19 laity. Terms are staggered on a three-year basis.
2017-2018 SMC Board of Trustees:
- Mr. Andrew Babb, SMC Class of 1988
- Mr. Phillip Buchheit
- Ms. Carol Burdette
- Mr. Darrell Campbell
- Dr. Phinnize J. Fisher
- Rev. Jerry L. Gadsden
- Mrs. Catherine Gramling
- Mrs. Marianna Habisreutinger
- Mr. Pat Henry, SMC Class of 1964
- Rev. D. Mitchell Houston, SMC Class of 1973
- Mr. Derrick Huggins
- Mr. Ray Lattimore, SMC Class of 1980
- Dr. Frank Lee
- Mrs. Kathleen McKinney
- Rev. Evelyn Middleton
- Mr. John Moore
- Mrs. Marilyn Murphy
- Dr. Darryl Owings
- Mr. John Ramsey
- Mr. W. Guy Spriggs
- Rev. Mary V. Teasley
- Mr. James F. Thompson, Chair
- Mr. William “Mookie” Wilson, SMC Class of 1978
- Mr. Robert Webb “Bret” McAbee, Jr., Student Representative
W. Scott Cochran, Eighth President of the College
About Scott Cochran:
Scott Cochran became the eighth President of Spartanburg Methodist College on November 16, 2015.
Before leading the college, President Cochran spent nearly 30 years in executive roles in business and higher education and draws upon those experiences for a monthly business column published by the Spartanburg Herald Journal.
President Cochran holds an economics degree from Wofford College and an MBA from Duke University. His business experience includes senior positions in the United States and internationally with GMAC, UPS Capital and most recently, Performance Solutions by Milliken, a unit of Milliken & Company. He served Wofford College for seven years as founder and Dean of The Space, Wofford’s professional development program. During his time at Wofford, he also taught courses in finance.
President Cochran is a Liberty Fellow and serves on the boards of Ballet Spartanburg, Globalbike and United Way of the Piedmont. He is married to Teresa Cochran. The couple has six children, all of whom live in the Upstate area, and they have recently welcomed their first grandchild.
Cabinet members serve at the pleasure of the President.
Cabinet members are:
- Trey Arrington, Chief Information Officer
- Dr. Anita K. Bowles, Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Development
- Jennifer A. Dillenger, Vice President for Institutional Advancement
- Rev. Tim Drum, Chaplain and Director of Church Relations
- Teresa D. Ferguson, Dean of Students
- Eric McDonald, Executive Vice President for Business Affairs
- Courtney B. Shelton, Vice President for Professional Development and Design
- S. Wells Shepard, Vice President for Enrollment
- Tim Wallace, Athletic Director and Head Baseball Coach
- Lisa Mincey Ware, Vice President for Marketing