Board of Trustees
Spartanburg Methodist College is led by a Board of Trustees comprised of 22 members, with five clergy members and 17 laity. Terms are staggered on a three-year basis.
2020-2021 SMC Board of Trustees:
- Ms. Charlita Atchison
- Mr. Andrew Babb, SMC Class of 1988
- Mr. Phillip Buchheit
- Ms. Carol Burdette
- Mr. Darrell Campbell
- Rev. Jerry L. Gadsden
- Mrs. Catherine Gramling
- Mr. Pat Henry, SMC Class of 1964
- Rev. Lane Glaze
- Dr. Frank Lee
- Mrs. Kathleen McKinney (chair)
- Rev. Evelyn Middleton
- Mr. John Moore
- Mrs. Marilyn Murphy
- Dr. Darryl Owings
- Mr. John Ramsey
- Dr. Harriet Rucker
- Rev. Mary V. Teasley
W. Scott Cochran, Eighth President of the College
About Scott Cochran:
Scott Cochran became the eighth President of Spartanburg Methodist College on November 16, 2015.
Before leading the college, President Cochran spent nearly 30 years in executive roles in business and higher education and draws upon those experiences for a monthly business column published by the Spartanburg Herald-Journal.
President Cochran holds an economics degree from Wofford College and an MBA from Duke University. His business experience includes senior positions in the United States and internationally with GMAC, UPS Capital and most recently, Performance Solutions by Milliken, a unit of Milliken & Company. He served Wofford College for seven years as founder and Dean of The Space, Wofford’s professional development program. During his time at Wofford, he also taught courses in finance.
President Cochran is a Liberty Fellow and serves on the boards of Ballet Spartanburg, Globalbike and United Way of the Piedmont. He also serves on the boards of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities where he is the Chair of the Tax Committee, South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities and the National Association of Colleges and Schools of the United Methodist Church. He is married to Teresa Cochran. The couple has six children and three grandchildren.
Cabinet members serve at the pleasure of the President.
Cabinet members are:
- Megan Aiello, Athletic Director
- Trey Arrington, Vice President for Operations
- Jennifer A. Dillenger, Vice President for Institutional Advancement and Chief of Staff
- Rev. Tim Drum, Chaplain and Director of Church Relations
- Kris Neely, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Ben Maxwell, Vice President of Enrollment
- Eric McDonald, Executive Vice President for Business Affairs
- Courtney B. Shelton, Vice President for Professional Development and Design
- Lisa Mincey Ware, Vice President for Marketing
- Jason Womick, Vice President for Analytics and Continuous Improvement
- Marty Woods, Vice President for Facilities