Answers to your technology questions
Getting set up
- From a web browser, go to email.smcsc.edu
- Login with your SMC email address and password. If you don't know your username and password, see "Username Format" and "Password Format" below.
Recommended: If you have a mobile device, download the Outlook app from your app store and login with your SMC e-mail address and password. We also suggest that after downloading the app and logging in, you go to settings and disable “Focused Inbox.”
Your SMC email is the official way the Colleges communicate with students. You should check your SMC email at least twice a day.
If you are having trouble with your username or password, email email@example.com.
The default format for your username will be your 1st initial, middle initial, last name, birth month (in 2 digits) @ smcsc.edu.
- For example: If your name is Jane Mary Doe and you were born in March, your username/e-mail will be: JMDOE03@SMCSC.EDU
If you have a hyphenated last name or a space in your last name, the hyphen and/or space will be removed and both names will be included in the username.
- For example: If your name is Jane Mary Doe-Smith and you were born in March, your username/e-mail will be: JMDOESMITH03@SMCSC.EDU
The default format for faculty and staff is last name, first initial @smcsc.edu
If you are having trouble with your username, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The default format for your password will be your birthday (8 digits).
- For example: If your birthday is January 3rd, 2005, your password will be 01032005.
If you are having trouble with your username, email email@example.com.
Your username and password are what you need to log into also everything program at SMC, including:
- Student portal
- Office 365
- Library system
- On-campus printing
- Campus computers
- Recovery Information Link
If you have lost your password or cannot remember it, please go to login.microsoftonline.com and choose the "Can’t Access Your Account" option, and then follow the steps to reset your password.
Keep in mind, this will reset your password for your SMC login for email, Brightspace, Student Portal, etc. If you need further assistance with your account, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
From a web browser, go to login.microsoftonline.com and login using your SMC e-mail address and password. Here, you will have access to the web versions of the full Microsoft Office suite.
- Recommended: On your PC or Mac, click on the “Install Office” button in the top right corner to install a full version of Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus. You may do this on up to 5 different devices.
- Recommended: On your mobile device, download the Office 365 mobile app, sign in with your SMC e-mail address and password, and this app will give you access to the mobile version of Microsoft Office 365.
From a web browser, go to estudent.smcsc.edu and login with your SMC username and your password.
Your Student Portal is where you can see all of your academic and billing records. In there, you will be able to:
- View your class schedule
- View your grades from previous terms and the current term
- View checklist of items that you need to complete before the start of each semester
- View financial aid documents
- Update information for emergency and missing person contacts
- Submit FERPA form
- Register for courses
Brightspace is used to deliver course content online. Brightspace allows students to access course content for their courses, submit assignments, participate in discussions, communicate with their instructor and classmates, and take quizzes and exams.
From a web browser go to smcsc.brightspace.com and login with your SMC e-mail address and password.
Recommended: On your mobile device, download the Brightspace Pulse app from the app store. Login with your SMC e-mail address and password. This app does not provide all the features of Brightspace, but it is a great tool for viewing your courses and receiving instant notifications.
Review our Brightspace how-to guide for helpful tips on using the system.
Technical support for computer and network-related problems is available during normal business hours, Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m and Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. The ITS Service Desk is located in the Vassey IT Center on the Lower Level of the Library. You may submit a Support Ticket by emailing email@example.com or through the support portal at smc1911.freshservice.com. Once your ticket has been submitted a technician will be in contact with you within 24 hours during normal business hours.
How to guides for virtual learning
The Kaltura Media Platform is an all-in-one solution for recording, storing, and submitting video assignments in D2L Brightspace. Your professors may require you to submit a video presentation, take an interactive video quiz, or submit a video discussion post. Learn how to use Kaltura to complete these assignments on Brightspace.
Review our how-to guides to learn how to use the system:
- Most modern Apple MacBook models will work fine.
- Chromebooks are a great, budget-friendly option. They can only run the web versions of the Microsoft Office suite, but this will not limit them from completing coursework. However, if the student plans to take graphic design courses, we would not recommend Chromebooks.
- For Windows-based computers, we recommend the following minimum specs:
- 128 GB Solid state (SSD) hard drive
- 8GB of RAM (memory)
- Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor
As part of SMC's partnership with Sophos Antivirus, an industry-leading cybersecurity company, all of our students and employees are allowed to download Sophos Home Premium antivirus for their personal devices. This license would typically cost around $60 per year! You can install this on multiple personal devices, once you have set up your account.
Follow the instructions below to create your account and download the software. Please note that in step 2, it might take a few minutes to receive your confirmation email to your SMC email address. Also, when you create your account, you use your personal email address for that part.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*By downloading this software, you are not giving SMC any access to your personal devices. Use of your SMC email address is to confirm that you are an employee or student in order to receive the complimentary access.
How to get the free software:
- Visit https://home.sophos.com/employee.
- Use your SMC email address to verify your eligibility and receive your unique coupon code. NOTE: Your personal email address is to be used later for registration. During registration, please ensure the accuracy of your personal email as coupon codes are single-use.
- Follow a few simple steps to register for and download the product, extending your powerful Sophos security to your home devices.
For more information about the product and get some answers to questions you may have, please visit https://home.sophos.com/en-us/landing/commercial-use.aspx.
Students do not need to bring a printer to SMC. We have computer labs with printing capability located in the Walker Building and Burgess Library. Also, students can print from their own devices to printers located throughout campus. For detailed instructions on how to print, view our printing guide.
Printing on campus is free of charge.