Answers to your technology questions
Getting set up
The default format for your username will be your full last name, first initial, middle initial, and the last 2 digits of the year you’re entering school at SMC. Add @student.smcsc.edu to this username for your student e-mail.
- For example: If your name is Jane Mary Doe and you began school in 2020, your username/e-mail will be: DOEJM20@STUDENT.SMCSC.EDU
If you have a hyphenated last name or a space in your last name, the hyphen and/or space will be removed and both names will be included in the username.
- For example: If your name is Jane Mary Doe-Smith and you began school in 2020, your username/e-mail will be: DOESMITHJM20@STUDENT.SMCSC.EDU
The default format for your password will be hashtag symbol (#), capitalized first name initial, capitalized last name initial, 2 digits for the day you were born (not the month), and the last 4 digits of your social security number.
- For example: If your name is Jane Mary Doe, your birthday is December 2nd, 2003 and your SSN is 123-45-6789 your password will be #JD026789
If you have lost your password or cannot remember it, please go to login.microsoftonline.com and choose the "Can’t Access Your Account" option, and then follow the steps to reset your password.
Keep in mind, this will reset your password for your SMC login for email, Brightspace, Student Portal, etc. If you need further assistance with your account, email email@example.com.
From a web browser, go to login.microsoftonline.com and login using your SMC e-mail address and password. Here, you will have access to the web versions of the full Microsoft Office suite.
- Recommended: On your PC or Mac, click on the “Install Office” button in the top right corner to install a full version of Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus. You may do this on up to 5 different devices.
- Recommended: On your mobile device, download the Office 365 mobile app, sign in with your SMC e-mail address and password, and this app will give you access to the mobile version of Microsoft Office 365.
From a web browser, go to email.smcsc.edu and login with your SMC email address and password.
- Recommended: If you have a mobile device, download the Outlook app from your app store and login with your SMC e-mail address and password. We also suggest that after downloading the app and logging in, you go to settings and disable “Focused Inbox.”
Your SMC email is the official way the Colleges communicate with students. You should check your SMC email at least twice a day.
From a web browser, go to estudent.smcsc.edu and login with your SMC username (without the @student.smcsc.edu) and your password.
Your Student Portal is where you can see all of your academic and billing records. In there, you will be able to:
- View your class schedule
- View your grades from previous terms and the current term
- View checklist of items that you need to complete before the start of each semester
- View financial aid documents
- Update information for emergency and missing person contacts
- Submit FERPA form
- Register for courses
Brightspace is used to deliver course content online. Brightspace allows students to access course content for their courses, submit assignments, participate in discussions, communicate with their instructor and classmates, and take quizzes and exams.
From a web browser go to smcsc.brightspace.com and login with your SMC e-mail address and password.
Recommended: On your mobile device, download the Brightspace Pulse app from the app store. Login with your SMC e-mail address and password. This app does not provide all the features of Brightspace, but it is a great tool for viewing your courses and receiving instant notifications.
Review our Brightspace how-t0 guide for helpful tips on using the system.
How to guides for virtual learning
The Kaltura Media Platform is an all-in-one solution for recording, storing, and submitting video assignments in D2L Brightspace. Your professors may require you to submit a video presentation, take an interactive video quiz, or submit a video discussion post. Learn how to use Kaltura to complete these assignments on Brightspace.
Review our Kaltura how-to-guide to learn how to use the system.
Many instructors at SMC opt to use Respondus Lockdown Browser during online quizzes and exams. Some instructors may also use Respondus Lockdown Browser in conjunction with Respondus Monitor, which is an online proctoring service.
To help you get started with Respondus, please review:
- Most modern Apple MacBook models will work fine.
- Chromebooks are a great, budget-friendly option. They can only run the web versions of the Microsoft Office suite, but this will not limit them from completing coursework. However, if the student plans to take graphic design courses, we would not recommend Chromebooks.
- For Windows-based computers, we recommend the following minimum specs:
- 128 GB Solid state (SSD) hard drive
- 8GB of RAM (memory)
- Intel i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor
Students do not need to bring a printer to SMC. We have computer labs with printing capability located in the Walker Building and Burgess Library. Also, students can print from their own devices to printers located throughout campus. For detailed instructions on how to print, view our printing guide.
Printing on campus is free of charge.